Tuesday, March 15, 2005

California Dreaming II

All of my senses rallied to help me cope, interpret and enjoy a wide range of sensory imput. Starting right off the plane, someone cleverly planted an expresso shop at the gate. Even before Ieaving the airport, the delicious, subtle odor of Chinese food tempted you not to leave so soon. Of course by now one would be easily tempted since the airplanes only offer a beverage and a one ounce snack.

Once on the Bart train/subway things really started rolling along. At first sparsely populated, we began to pick up rush hour passengers commuting up and down the Bay. Soon there was no limit to the input of sight and sound, patterns of flashing lights outside the windows whizzing across the reflections of faces and bodies inside, squealing of steel wheels on metal rails amplified in the tunnels, people with cell phones, laptops, headphones, briefcases, red boxing gloves, bicycles, magazines, books, gym bags....Going home, hanging on, stone faced, a flicker of a smile, and sleeping to the raucus, rocking commuter's lullaby. Such a comfort to see my brother there to deliver me "home" the rest of the way.

Actually the four car Judah
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As soon as I stepped out onto the curb at Stan's house in Alemeda, an intensely sweet smell strongly resembling gardenia engulfed me. The euphoria of this scent of the Victorian Box would swoon me throughout my visit as this flowering tree seems to be a favorite here.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everything was in bloom. A perpetual kaleidascope of colors kept me totally perplexed about the multitudes of species. Camillas, cala lilies, geranium as large as shrubs, jade plants, azaleas, shamrocks, lavender, shasta daisies, ganzania, and of course the California poppy, to name a few of the thousands I could only guess at. Even the eucalyptus and evergreens were in bloom.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We were all too tired to eat out so Stan pulled out his Trader Joe's deli goodies. There was baked tofu salad, guacamole with salsa, black bean chips, a sushi tray. Stan made coleslaw with apples, and he warmed up a crusty whole grain bread and blood oranges to refresh the palate.What a feast! A bottle of red wine eased me down from "high-speed travel syndrome". The next night it got late quickly after a day visiting with Stan's co-workers, lunch at an East Indian buffet with an Indian fellow named Karim, and thrift store and organic food mall shopping. So we had more delicacies like smoked salmon, sardines, five different cheeses, sliced avacado, red onion, tomatoes and papaya, more hot, crusty bread and wine. Now I know how the Romans got spoiled!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I finally talked Stan and Pat into accompanying me to Serena and Cole's apartment in the City on the way to Point Reyes Station National Seashore tomarrow. Like me, they hesitate to go far on their days off. I certainly hope they enjoy it.

Text © 2004 Mona E. Dunn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home