Monday, July 04, 2005

When it rains, it pours - not always water

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The grueling hay season is underway for Clark and consequently,indirectly,for me.At an auction this spring, Clark bought a computer directed round baler, which can wrap with net or twine. I could only imagine the hardship of learning a new piece of machinary. So sometimes it works and sometimes we are stumped as to what sort of fickleness has interrupted production in the middle of the night. Timing is critical and with the extra moisture this year, Clark has extremely over extended in his capacity to cut, bale, irrigate, pick up and stack all the hay he has committed to produce from the four large properties he has contracted. If working properly, the round baler could really save some time and save wear and tear on the slipping clutch of the balewagon which picks up small square bales.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And so the saga (def.-any narrative of heroic exploits) unfolds.Clark had been working day and night for weeks with 2-3 hours of sleep when ever he can fit it in, eating breakfast if I can make it for him before he disappears for the rest of the day (or night). Friday I had spent a couple hours soaking my gardens so they would not shrivel in the heat of the day while I put in my marathon weekend schedule at the restaurant. Before finishing up I noticed the water pressure was low then diminished to a trickle. None of the faucets on the property ran water. After checking in the pump house I decided to go over to the Circle to fill some large containers with water so I could at least wash before going to work.

When I reached the Circle, Clark was there under his swather soaked in diesel. After filling up with 50 gallons for the evenings work, he discovered a clog the line. His friend, Dean had his finger on the hole until Clark could clean and replace the plug. Of course the finger had to come off to replace the plug! I barely had the heart to tell Clark about the problem at home.

When I arrived home from work, Clark was sleeping on the couch vaguely reeking of diesel.(he rinsed off with the cold hose) I thought it best to let him sleep not knowing what exactly his schedule was.

At about 3:30am I am awakened by three loud cracks of the shotgun. A racoon had rolled around an empty gallon jug that usually has cat food in it, down the steps on the porch, waking Clark up prematurely of his alarm. In my sleep I hear him make coffee, then later pull out with his tractor and round baler. Before long I hear him come back to the barn after baling two bales.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So the next morning someone from the dealership is adjusting things on the baler, the water well guys are in the well house, Clark has ordered water at the circle to be changed early, and I have to go to work. I decided to put extra straw on my plants just in case since most things had been soaked yesterday and picked a bunch of lettuce to give away in town and watered the animals.

Before leaving, I just had to know what we were in for so I approached the well house. At last, some good news! Only the pump need to be replaced, not the well. Three wells had gone dry in the neighborhood in recent years.Having been without electricity for a day last winter was a minor inconvenience, but to suddenly contemplate being without water for an indeterminent period of time was especially stressful.

All in a day of the life of a farmer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Text and pictures © 2004 Mona E. Dunn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home