Friday, May 23, 2008

Hell Hath No Fury...Like a Springtime Storm


Got spring fever, transplanted the best of my seedlings and several nice plants from the greenhouse down the road and fixed up a spot to sit in the garden so I could read my reference books there and work on transplants.

I should really know better and wait 'til June to move ahead. The rose bushes were begging to bask in the sunshine so I uncovered them too. Wednesday I was in town doing errands and heard rumors of tornados. Clark had warned me to get home early to cover the garden, just in case! When I did get home at 5: 30 he was out putting up the barriers. Between 6:30 and 7:30 pm we had three rounds of pea sized hail, the last one dumping a couple inches in the yard. Looking out at the pature you'de have thought it snowed. I tried not to dwell on the damage and went to bed that night grateful that I had a warm , dry place to sleep. More than I could say for the cows and calves who had no choice but to endure the bombardment.

Soooo... today... heard it might get windy in this afternoon. I made my rounds to stalk the wild asparagus early and came home with about four pounds, some nice fat stalks for grilling. Four o'clock my friend in town, Diana called to make sure I'de heard the afternoon's tornado warnings which I had no inkling of. I put the radio on to get informed. The radio assured that the tornados were passing to the East of town heading north. Bueno! Clark went out to feed the calves and it started to rain, then hail, then harder and larger until we were being pounded by walnut sized ice balls. The cats were racing around in the house looking for shelter.



Well, I can still be grateful that we weren't run over by a tornado like they had in Windsor, Co.



Text and Pictures May 2008





.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home